Have you ever fallen in love with a cosmetic product, but then go to look at the price and cringe? Sadly, most of us have experienced this kind of heart break. It’s nice to splurge once in a while on a product, but I love to find dupes for my expensive everyday products that I use. Since makeup is something you need to buy regularly, its nice to save money when you can. The truth is with a bit of luck and experimenting, you can find a dupe that preforms just as well as your favourite product for a fraction of the price. Why would you pay $40 on a product if you could spend $10 on another and it does the exact same thing?
These are some of my favourite products and their dupes.
1)I fell in love with Too Faced’s Better Than Sex Mascara. The formula is very creamy, it doesn’t smudge and the packing is very feminine and cute. The thick applicator allows you to get the product at the base of the lashes, while the long bristles are able to comb through your lashes adding a ton of volume and length. A dupe for this is e.l.f’s Studio Mineral Volumizing Mascara. These mascaras are identical so you can purchase e.l.f’s mascara for a fraction of the price of Too Faced’s.
Better Than Sex $23 e.l.f. $3
2) MAC’s Fluidline Gel Liner is The Holy Grail eyeliner that not just myself but many of my friends use as well. The formula is very creamy and opaque. The formula applies matte and doesn’t dry out during the day. A very similar dupe to this is the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner. You can purchase it at most drugstores and Walmarts.
Mac Fluidline $20 Maybelline Gel Liner $11
3) MAC’s Fix+ is one of the more popular setting sprays to keep your makeup in place all day. It not only contains glycerin to help keep your makeup in one spot, but as also has vitamins in it to help keep your skin nourished. A great dupe for this is NYX’s Matte Finish Setting Spray. It comes in a smaller size, but it’s less than half the price of the Fix+ and does the exact same thing.
MAC Fix+ $26 Nyx Matte Setting Spray $8
4) My all-time favourite liquid eyeliner is the Stila Stay-All-Day Waterproof Liner. Its application is super easy; the formula is long-lasting and it doesn’t crease. As well, the liner is smudge-free and comes in the blackest black so you can create intense pigmented eyeliner. A dupe for this would be L’Oreal Infallible super slim eyeliner, which comes in the same applicator as the Stila eyeliner and has the same long-lasting power as well.
Stila Stay-All-Day liner $28 L’Oreal Infallible super slim liner $14
5) MAKE UP FOR EVER’s Ultra HD Foundation is one of the most popular foundations in the makeup world. The formula is great for people with oily skin or that want medium to full coverage. The lasting power on this foundation is incredible; it can easily last up to 16 hours. A great dupe for this is the Revlon Photo Ready Foundation. Many people swear by this drugstore dupe and say how they can’t tell a single difference between them.
MAKE UP FOREVER HD $53 Revlon Photo Ready $23
6) A great primer that fills in lines and minimizes the look of pores is Benefit’s Porefessional Primer. This primer goes on feeling silky and then melts into your skin to help your foundation stick and last all day long. A dupe for this would be NYX’s Pore Filler. The Pore Filler does the same things and it even contains Vitamin E to help smooth and enhance your skin.
Benefit Porefessional $39 NYX Pore Filler $23
7) To contour my face, I usually use the NARS Laguna Bronzer because it’s super pigmented and the formula is very creamy, so it glides onto the face and blends in beautifully. A great dupe to this is NYX’s Matte Bronzer. These products are almost identical except, the NYX Matte Bronzer is a few shades lighter than the NARS Laguna Bronzer.
Nars Laguna Bronzer $36 NYX Matte Bronzer $9
What’s your favourite dupe?
About the author: Shannon Reid is a Public Relations Advanced Diploma student at Humber College. She a beauty enthusiast who thrives off of winged eyeliner and “on fleek” contouring. You can always find her shopping at Sephora or watching makeup tutorials online.