March 3, 2016 | Desiree Swance
Have you ever found yourself going way over budget when grocery shopping? But you stuck to your list; you went over the budget because the cost of food went up! And it just seems like the cost continues to go up!
Or maybe you’re burning through your meal plan much quicker than you thought you would? But it’s not because you’re overbuying. It’s because all the food sold on campus is so overpriced!
Sadly with inflation, the cost of food, sold at the grocery store and on campus, is always going up and it’s hard to stick to that budget or meal plan.
But luckily, with these tips, you’ll become a savvy shopper and save tons on groceries! And with extra groceries on hand, you don’t have to worry about going over on your meal plan!
Shop at Grocery Stores with Student Discounts
Being a college student isn’t cheap but not to worry, there are lots of stores that feel our pain and offer student discount days! All you need to do is show your student I.D. at the checkout!
- Loblaw’s – 10 per cent off on Tuesdays
- Superstore – 10 per cent off on Tuesdays
- Metro – 10 per cent off on Tuesdays
- Foodland – 10 per cent off on Tuesdays
- Sobey’s – 10 per cent off Tuesdays through Thursdays
- Bulk Barn (it is way cheaper to buy your snacks in bulk!)– 10% off on Wednesday
Download These Apps Immediately
With all the apps out there today that help you save money and find deals, there’s no reason to pay full price for groceries!
- Browse the offers and buy products at any store.
- Upload your receipt by just taking a readable photo using the app.
- The app will confirm that your purchase and credit your account.
- When your account balance reaches $20, you can cash out and they’ll mail you a check.
For example, the app may be offering $1 cash back if you buy two packages of Eggo Waffles or Pancakes this week. And the great thing about this app is that if those Eggo Waffles are on sale somewhere, you can get them for the reduced price and still get the $1 cash back!
- When you open the app for the first time, you enter a postal code and
allow it to find your location.
- It, then, shows you flyers from different stores close to you and you can pick your favourites.
- It allows you to clip and save items you want to buy.
- Use the shopping list feature and when you type in an item to add to your list, the app displays how many local deals are available for that item.
- Use it to price match.
- Browse weekly flyers from local retailers.
- Earn cash back on exclusive offers.
- Create shopping lists.
- Plan your shopping trips by store.
Through the Save.ca site you can also clip coupons and print them or have them mailed to you!
- Browse the Zweet offers and purchase the products at any store.
- Use the app to snap a picture of your receipt.
- Earn cash back and points for future rewards.
Zweet works a lot like Checkout 51, so when you have both apps you have access to twice as many cash back offers!
All these apps are available on the Google Play Store and the Apple Store.
Buy Generic Brands
If you buy generic brands at the store instead of name brands, you can save 25 per cent! A lot of the time, the no name products taste or work the same as the name brands. But you have to be choosy because there are some generic brands that are subpar at best.
What generic brands to buy:
- Food staples – flour, sugar, cooking oil, and butter will always taste the same and work the same as the name brands.
- Canned produce – any basic canned fruit or vegetables taste the same.
- Frozen produce – the name brand frozen produce costs twice as much as generic brands and often the store brand is much cheaper and gives you more in the bag.
If you think being a savvy shopper is too time-consuming or takes too much effort, just remember reading this. It IS possible to save tons of your hard-to-come-by money by implementing some or all of these strategies!
Desirée Swance is a public relations student and receptionist for the peer assisted learning program at Humber College.