Does hearing “tea” make you want Starbucks?
Does the word “caddy” get you thinking of 2 women talking about a 3rd, who isn’t there to defend herself?
Does “chip” mean you have to get your nails done again?
Are “greens” what you eat when you’d actually really prefer a cheeseburger?
Lastly, does the word “iron” get you thinking about that blouse that always gets brutally creased?
Let me open your eyes to the wonderful world of golf.
If you are looking for a sport to take up I would suggest Golf. Women are under represented in the sport of golf, and I believe that they are truly missing out on a great game! In addition to the abundance of eye candy that a golf course promise’s on a sunny day, here is a list of other reasons the sport is a real par-tee (party):
1. Exercise: Golf is a great way to burn calories without noticing. As it is more about endurance not extreme physical exertion, anyone can learn golf.
2. Socializing & Relationships: Golf is one of the most social sports ever invented. You have time to talk about pretty much anything with your friends and partners during a round of golf! Golf’s unique ‘Handicap’ scoring system means that players of all levels can play together. Golf course’s offer 3 sets of tee grounds on most holes; an advanced one which is located furthest back, the normal or “men’s” tee ground, and then the “ladies” being the foremost tee ground. Feel free to use whichever tee ground you feel most comfortable with. The last hole of a round of golf; the watering hole (bar/ restaurant) always offers a great social setting and juicy gossip!
4. Fresh Air: Golfing is an outdoor activity, allowing players to enjoy the elements, nature’s beauty and to breathe fresh air. The well manicured lawns and gardens are admirable, and make for a beautiful environment to surround yourself in.
5. Sunshine: Golfing offers the perfect opportunity to work on your tan! Being in the sun for 4-5 hours is almost a guarantee you will return home a shade or two darker… I would recommend wearing a collared tank top to avoid getting a T-shirt tan line (YUCK!). eing on the links offer golfers their daily dose of vitamin D. Research shows that the sun improves sleep, increases natural protection against diseases and enhances people’s moods. My Dermatologist would give me a slap on the wrist if I forgot to mention that one should always wear sunscreen while in the sun. (Who want’s wrinkles at 30?? NOBODY!)
6. Clothing: Think yacht club meets tennis club. What a great excuse to add some more Ralph Lauren to your wardrobe. Click here to start looking for your golf outfit at Ralph Lauren. Best of all our favourite athletic clothing brand, lululemon athletica® now sells Golf attire too!
7. Learning: Golf requires both physical and mental ability and is a high skill game, that will keep you agile and focussed. Golf is a true love – hate relationship, you will hit a couple good shots, then shank one… its inevitable, but it’s all part of the game and let me tell you will get addicted to it. Golf will test your patience and your temper; you as a person will benefit from this. Motivational speaker and self help author, Anthony Robbins, is known for saying “Success is buried on the other side of frustration.” This could not hold more true in the sport of golf. Golf is a unquestionably a mental game, and one’s attitude can have a big impact on his or her game. Stay positive. English author, P.G. Wodehouse, is quoted saying “To find a man’s true character, play golf with him.”
8. Travel: Golf offers great travel opportunities as there are over 40,000 courses all over the world which showcase some of the worlds most beautiful landscapes. Check out Golf Digest’s list of the top golf resorts in the world and “aw” at all the beauty.
9. The Driving Range: Ah, the driving range! For $10 you can get a bucket of balls, and hit ’em at your leisure; whether it is to critique and perfect your drive and swing, or to let out some steam the driving range is one of my favourite budget friendly places to spend “me” time.
10. Expand your opportunities: Golf is a great game to know in the world of business… but it’s really not the golf that matters, truth be told. It’s the secret club that the game ferments. It’s the secret language creates. It’s being present and in the game, being where decisions are made. And that means being on the golf course.
11. Last but not least… BEER! The beer is always flowing at the clubhouse, and the beer carts are always zooming around. A cold one never feels as cold and good as it does on a hot day on the greens.
Who is going to try a quick 9, or full 18 on the next sunny day?
Do you have a favourite women’s athletic wear brand?
The driving range is a huge stress reliever for me, and way I am able to take out frustration, what are some coping mechanisms and activities you do to burn off some steam?